Monday, January 2, 2017

Juliet Takes a Breath


Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera had at least three entry points into my life.

First, following the election I sought book lists. In particular (1) provocative books to read after the election and (2) new queer and feminist books. Rivera's title was on the second of these lists, and I ordered it immediately.

Second, in reading her bio, I learned that we're in very similar lines of work -- seriously, we have almost the same job title -- and yet she's had time in the past few years to write a book. I took it as a point of motivation for 2017.

Then -- if you can believe it -- I was paging through an issue of my college alumni magazine as I was putting together this year's intention collage, and I learned that Gabby Rivera graduated from Goucher College, just like me. One year after me, in fact.

I'm reading her book now. I'm also writing mine.

And just in case you'd like a glimpse of that intention collage...

No comments:

Post a Comment